UN: Violence continues to kill, displace civilians in Sudan

A displaced mother and her children in Darfur. (Courtesy photo)

The Spokesman for the UN Secretary-General, Stéphane Dujarric, on Monday said their humanitarian colleagues warn that ongoing violence continues to kill civilians and force more people from their homes in Sudan.

He said that in North Kordofan State, local authorities reported that more than a dozen civilians were killed and others injured in clashes in Um Arada, south-west of the state capital El Obeid, that took place on Friday.

“The International Organization for Migration says that more than 4,200 people were displaced from the town and surrounding areas on Friday and Saturday,” he said. “Increased violence across North Kordofan is also impacting humanitarian operations, as you would expect. This is forcing our humanitarian partners to suspend activities and health services for over two weeks in Al Mazroub, which is facing a cholera outbreak.”                 

“Meanwhile, in Blue Nile State, renewed fighting was reported in Geisan and Kurmuk and surrounding areas last week. IOM says about 5,400 people have been displaced due to this in recent days,” Dujarric added.

He reiterated calls to all parties to protect civilians, to protect civilian infrastructure, and to allow aid to reach people quickly, safely and without obstruction.

“Despite the insecurity, however, our humanitarian partners and we are continuing to deliver to people in need. Across the Darfur region, the World Food Programme reached about 2.3 million people with [food] assistance in July,” he said.  “And our humanitarian colleagues continue to urge donors to provide additional funding for the humanitarian response. This year’s appeal for Sudan is only 41 percent funded, with $1.2 billion in hand against the $2.9 billion that are actually required.”                                                       


Welcome

Install
×