Sudanese security forces on Thursday killed a protester during the latest rallies against last year’s military coup, medics said.
The pro-democracy doctors’ union said the protester, yet to be identified, was “shot dead” by security forces in Omdurman, a western suburb of Khartoum.
The latest death brings to 102 the toll from a crackdown on anti-coup protests, which have taken place regularly since the October 25 coup d’état led by the head of the army, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan.
His coup upended a transition to civilian rule after the 2019 ouster of autocratic President Omar al-Bashir.
Hundreds took to the streets on Thursday in several parts of the Khartoum area to renew demands for civilian rule.
Sudan has since the coup plunged into deepening unrest — near-weekly protests, rising prices, life-threatening food shortages, and ethnic clashes.
The United Nations, the African Union and the regional bloc IGAD have been pushing to facilitate Sudanese-led talks to resolve the crisis.
On June 8, military officials, representatives from several political parties, and senior members from ex-rebel groups attended the start of talks. But the Forces for Freedom and Change (FLC), a key civilian group, refused to take part.
The civilian group is demanding an end to the repression and the release of prisoners before any dialogue with the military authorities.




and then