UN, partners continue assisting conflict-affected Sudanese

The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) has said that the UN and its partners continue to provide life-saving assistance to people affected by conflict across Sudan.

Farhan Haq, the deputy spokesman for Guterres, on Monday, while briefing the media in New York, said in Central Darfur State, the UN’s humanitarian partners have distributed food rations for May to about 313,000 people across six localities. 

“In North and South Darfur States, an ongoing cholera vaccination campaign, organized by the World Health Organization and our partners, aims to protect more than 250,000 people at risk of the disease. The risks of cholera and other water-borne diseases will increase during the rainy season, which begins next month,” he said. “As a reminder, in March, the authorities had declared the end of a country-wide cholera outbreak, which recorded more than 124,000 cases and over 3,500 deaths.” 

According to Haq, OCHA remains alarmed that fighting continues to force people from their homes.  

“Local sources report that in recent weeks more than 6,700 people were forced to flee their homes in Blue Nile State and have sought refuge in neighboring Sennar State,” he stated. “The International Organization for Migration also reports nearly 4,000 people were displaced within Blue Nile State last week due to increased insecurity. Since January, more than 50,000 people have been displaced in the state, sharply increasing humanitarian needs there.” 

“OCHA appeals for additional funding to scale up life-saving assistance. The 2026 Humanitarian Needs and Response Plan, which requires $2.9 billion to reach more than 20 million people – more than one third of the people in Sudan prior to the crisis – is only 21 per cent funded, with just $597 million received so far,” Haq added.


Welcome

Install
×