Uncategorized

Warrap governor suspends Gogrial East commissioner

Warrap State Governor, Amb. Bol Wek Agoth

The governor of Warrap State, Bol Wek Agoth, has suspended the commissioner of Gogrial East County over allegations that he fueled deadly communal violence last month.

The clashes occurred between the Nyaramum and Jur-man-Anger communities in Gogrial East County and left several people dead.

William Duchak, the suspended commissioner and a member of the ruling SPLM, had reportedly stayed away from the county for nearly a month due to security concerns. Some community members accused him of supporting his Jur-man-Anger community in his capacity as the area’s security head.

Warrap State Information Minister and government spokesperson Mamer Bath told Radio Tamazuj on Tuesday that the suspension was an administrative measure taken amid rising tensions.

“It is confirmed that the commissioner of Gogrial East County was suspended, and it is a normal administrative routine,” Bath said. “When people express suspicion about his administration and how he handled communal animosities, and there are perceptions that he was siding with one group, the governor has the right to relieve him of his duties.”

Kiir Aluietmiir, a member of parliament representing Gogrial East Constituency No. 18, said the security situation remains fragile.

“The security situation between the Nyaramum and Jur-man-Anger communities is not completely stable,” Aluietmiir said. “People are not moving freely due to the fighting that took place. Many lives were lost, leaving deep grievances within the communities.”

He alleged that armed youth from the Nyaramum and Jur-man-Anger communities, as well as some armed youth from Mayom County in Unity State, were involved in the violence.

Aluietmiir confirmed the commissioner’s suspension, saying additional forces are needed to restore security and prevent further clashes between local youth and those entering from neighboring areas. However, he said he was not personally aware of evidence linking the commissioner to the conflict.

For his part, Duchak denied that he had been suspended. He said the governor had instructed him by phone to relocate temporarily to Kuajok, the state capital, due to insecurity at the county headquarters in Lietnhom.

“Nobody suspended me from my job,” Duchak said. “There was communal fighting, and the governor feared for my safety at the county headquarters. He asked me to come to town while he was away.”

He added that the governor plans to form a fact-finding committee to investigate the root causes of the fighting and that he continues to run the county administration remotely due to insecurity in Lietnhom and parts of Jur-man-Anger.

Duchak said he can still operate in the payams of Ayiik, Biong, Panachier and Mangol Apuk.